Sending data to the server by Yandex Browser
Yandex Browser sends data to the server in order to:
- Perform technical tasks, such as increasing the data transfer speed or phishing protection.
- Collect statistics on Yandex Browser usage and debugging data.
The data is sent to the server:
- When the user turns on a Yandex Browser feature (for example, statistics collection).
- When the Yandex Browser feature is activated.
All the situations when data transfer to the server is enabled are listed below. If you want to disable data exchange with the server in any of the situations described below, disable the feature in the settings (to go to the settings, click).
Sending data by default
Data transfer is enabled by default for the following browser features:
- Crash reports. If Yandex Browser or its components close unexpectedly, crash reports are sent to the server.
Attention. We recommend keeping this setting enabled. Crash reports help developers fix bugs.
- At the bottom of the page, click Personal data settings.
- Disable the Send crash reports to Yandex option.
- Protection against malware and malicious sites. If the user visits a suspicious site, Yandex Browser sends the hash prefix of this page to the server.The Yandex condensed database of malware and phishing sites is downloaded to your computer. It contains the hash prefixes of addresses of dangerous pages. Before opening a page, Yandex Browser calculates the address hash and checks the hash prefix against the local database. If there is a match, Yandex Browser sends the server the prefix of the page and gets the full hashes of malicious pages that start with this prefix. If the list of pages contains the hash of the requested page, the page is blocked.
When downloading a file, Yandex Browser checks it for malware. When checking the file, information about the file, the history of the tab the file was downloaded from, and other data is sent to the server.
Attention. We recommend keeping this setting enabled. If Yandex Browser stops blocking pages on infected and phishing sites, malware may get into your computer.
- Click .
- Go to Security.
- Disable security options.
- Navigation error help. If the user enters a nonexistent website address, Yandex Browser sends this address to the Yandex server. Yandex web service will help you find the website address or suggest viewing a saved copy of the website if the page was deleted.
- In the Search section, disable the Offer corrections for typos in site addresses option.
- Autofill for forms. When you enter information in a form (such as your name, address, email, or phone number), Yandex Browser remembers it so that later you save time and complete forms in just one click. This information is not sent to the server. However, if Yandex Browser asks the server for information about what the form fields mean, the form's address may be sent to the server.
- Disable the Suggest form autofill option.
Sending data after activating a feature
If you activate these features, they will start sending data.
- Sending statistics. If you enable sending statistics, depersonalized data about Yandex Browser usage will be sent to Yandex. This data will help identify problem areas in the Yandex Browser interface, kernel, and other components, along with problems in other Yandex servers.
Sending data when the feature is used
The following features send data only while they are in use:
- Page language detection. To detect the language, Yandex Browser uses local tools alone or both local and server tools. The second method is more accurate. It requires part of the page text to be sent to the server. To use only local tools, go to Tools in settings and deselect the Send text snippets to Yandex to improve translation quality option.
- Browser installation. Yandex Browser sends information about the installation, such as the time needed to download a file.
- Updates. The browser periodically requests information about updates from Yandex servers and transfers some technical data to the server.
- Calculating the number of users. Completely depersonalized information is periodically sent to the server to count the total number of Yandex Browser users.
- Uninstall the browser. Yandex Browser sends anonymized technical information about the system to the server.