Protect: protected mode
Protected mode is a mode that Yandex Browser enables on bank and payment system web pages to make electronic payments more secure. In protected mode the browser enables strict verification of certificates. If the certificate is verified, the browser disables extensions and changes the interface. Protected mode is part of the Protect integrated security system.
Verification of certificates
In protected mode, Yandex Browser enables strict verification of HTTPS certificates. Protected mode is not enabled if:
- There are problems with a certificate; for example, a bank certificate is expired, invalid or untrusted.
- An unknown certificate installed in the operating system is used by the program or network administrator.
- A certificate installed by special software is used.
In the protected mode, Yandex Browser disables all extensions except password managers verified by Yandex. This is to prevent malicious extensions from stealing or tampering with your payment information.
The extensions are re-enabled when you exit protected mode.
Enabling the mode
If you have opened an online payment page and don’t see changes in the interface, enable protected mode manually.
You can add any page that uses HTTPS to the list for enabling protected mode.
- The Protect panel opens. In the connection status section, click Learn more.
- In the Permissions section, enable the Protected mode option.
Disabling the mode
If you have enabled protected mode on a page by mistake, disable it:
- In the SmartBox, click .
- In the Protected mode section, choose Off.
To fully disable protected mode:
- Click .
- Go to the Security tab at the top of the page.
- In the Threat security section, deselect Open online banking and payment system sites in Protected mode.