How to evaluate the results of a video banner campaign
Impression statistics can help you evaluate the effectiveness of your ads. You can view ad campaign reports after your ads start displaying. In the side menu, select Statistics → Statistics for all campaigns. Go to the Report wizard tab.
For example, you can see what ad sizes are served most frequently. Under Cross sections, select Ad No. and Image size. Under Columns, select Impressions.
For some parameters (such as audience reach), the system uses a statistical method to calculate metrics based on a sample of users. This lets you quickly get the parameter value for a large amount of data. Therefore, the reach displayed in statistics may not differ significantly from the true value.
Read more information about campaign statistics.
Which metrics to track
It is important to assess target audience reach and user interest in the video.
To analyze events that occurred after the video impression, select the “Last impression from Yandex Direct cross-device” attribution model. More.
- Key metrics for video performance
Views by quartiles — The number of views of 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the video.
- Percentage of views by quartiles — The number of views of 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the video, divided by the total number of video impressions.
- Average cost per view of 100% of video (CPV): The average cost per video view. It is calculated as the ratio of spending to the number of 100% completed video views.
- Mute or unmute clicks — The number of times “Unmute” and “Mute” were clicked.
- Reach — The number of unique users who have watched the video. It is calculated based on the history of impressions on different user devices (smartphones, tablets, and PCs).
- Average impression rate — The average number of ad contacts per user. It is calculated as the ratio of the number of views to the reach.
How to create a report in the Report Wizard.
Click the View statistics link on the campaign page. In the Report wizard, create a report:
- Choose “For selected period”.
- Select “Last impression from Yandex Direct cross-device”.
- Cross sections
To see the inventory used to serve the video, select the slice Type of inventory.
- Avg. impression frequency
- Total expenditure (rubles)
- 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completed
- Percentage of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completed
- Average CPM (rubles)
- Average CPV for 100% completed (rub.)
- Mute clicks
- Unmute clicks
In the report, you will see:
- Media reach produced by advertising.
- How well the video engages the audience.
- How many conversions did the display ad attract? Learn more.
- How users interacted with the video.
How to make decisions based on statistics
- Increase the number of video banner impressions
- If the campaign isn't winning enough auctions for ad display, you can raise the CPM bid (for a manual strategy) or limit your average CPM (for an automatic strategy). Check the user profile: your ad may be too narrowly targeted.
- How to compare videos
You can compare videos by the number of complete views and clicks: they show user interest in the video. Add the Ad/banner № cross-section and 100% completed and Clicks columns, and compare the metrics per video.
- How to improve advertising materials
See how effectively the video engages the audience. The quartile view statistics show user interest in certain parts of the video. For example, if the majority of users have watched a quarter of the video but the main message is in the middle, try to adjust your story. If a video is interesting and engaging from the start, users are more likely to watch it to the end.
- How to interpret statistics on clicks and conversions
Video banner, just like other types of advertising, can bring both traffic and purchases to your website. You can compare display campaigns by the number of clicks and conversions. However, keep in mind that reach and frequency are more important for display campaigns than clicks and conversions. It doesn't make sense to compare clicks and conversions with similar metrics of performance campaigns. Performance advertising runs on existing demand, while display advertising creates more interest in a “cold” audience.
Information about the video audience
- Segment reach and user distribution by gender, age, and device type.
- Online interests and categories of users (homemakers, students, parents, and so on).
- Percentage of users in the segment who visited your website or completed Yandex Metrica goals on it.
To learn more, see Yandex Audience Help.