You can control whether third-party apps can access your account using app passwords. For example, a password that you create for your mail client doesn't allow access to Yandex.Disk using the WebDAV protocol. No app password grants access to your account.
When two-factor authentication is enabled, app passwords are required and can't be disabled.
You will need to create a separate password for each third-party application or program that requires you to enter your Yandex password. These include:
- Email clients (Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, The Bat!, and more);
- WebDAV client for Yandex Disk
- CardDAV client for syncing Yandex Mail contacts with a mobile device
- CalDAV client for Yandex Calendar
- mail importers for other mail services (Mail.ru, Gmail, Outlook.com and others)
To create an app password:
- Open the Security tab.
- In the Access to your data section, select App passwords.
If two-factor authentication is enabled, click Create a new password.
- Select the type of application.
- Come up with a name for the password. For example, you can use the name of the application that you are creating a password for. The password will be shown with this name in the list.
- Click Create. The app password will appear in a pop-up window.
Resetting application passwords
All application passwords that you created get reset in the following cases:
- You change a password (with two-factor authentication disabled)
- You enable or disable two-factor authentication
- You restored access to your account by yourself or with the help of our support staff
- You followed the Log out on all devices link on the Account management page.
Every app password you use must be re-generated following any of these events.