Searching for messages
If you have a lot of messages in your mailbox and want to find them quickly, you can use the search function. To do this, enter the information you remember about the email in the search box, such as the sender's name, the receipt date, or some words from the email text.
Other ways to use the search box
If you can't remember the exact grammatical form of a word, type any form into the search field, and Yandex Mail will find all your emails that contain a form of that word. For example, if you search for the word
estimate, you will find messages containing phrases like “I'm sending you the project estimate” or “Which of the two estimates is based on the new prices?”.
Yandex Mail also finds the email you're looking for if you search by attachment name or by the text in the attachment.
Search for emails in a folder or with a certain label
If you are in the Inbox folder, search results will include emails from all of your mail folders except Spam.
If you are in a certain folder or are viewing emails with a certain label, Yandex Mail will, by default, search in this particular folder or among emails with this label. For example, if you're only viewing emails labeled From the accounting department, the search results only show emails from the accounting department, regardless of what you search for.
If you do not remember the full name of your contact, start typing it – Yandex Mail will offer suggestions. Your previous searches will also appear in the Yandex Mail suggestions.
- Clear email search history
- In the upper-right corner, click.
- Choose Other.
- Go to Clear entire history.and click
If you want to set more complex search conditions, start typing your search query and then click (to the right of the search box) to select additional search parameters.
Here you can specify to search for:
- Only emails with attachments.
- The date or date range when the email was received.
- Name of folder.
- Sender's name.
- Recipient's name.
Other options under the More button:
- Which part of the message to search in — the subject or body.
- Whether to search in Important or Unread.
In the search results you will see a list of matching emails from all indicated folders of your mailbox, except the Spam folder.
If the advanced form is not enough to configure complex search conditions, use the query language. Using it, you can:
- Only search in specific message fields. For example, you can search for emails sent by “Alice” that have an attachment “Postcard” —
- Search for messages within a specific date range. For example, you can search for emails from March 15, 2023, to April 10, 2023 —
- Search for messages in specific folders or with specific tags. For example, in the “From Fluffy” folder —
- Use operators to combine search conditions. For example, to search for messages from Mad Hatter to Alice or messages that contain the text “Tea” to Alice —
(from:(just.mad.hatter OR Mad Hatter) OR text:tea) AND to:Alice
For more information, see How to use the query language.
Delete a message in search results
To delete an email after finding it in the list of search results, select it and click Delete. The email is then moved to the Trash, but still shown in the list.
To permanently delete the email from your mailbox, select it again and delete it. You won't be able to restore it later.
Search doesn't work
If you can't find a specific email:
- Make sure that your query doesn't contain errors.
- Try limiting the number of words in your query.
- If you remember any other information about the email (such as names of attached files), include them in the search query.
- If you use the advanced search option, make sure that all the settings are correct.