What are goals? Types of goals
- Tracking user actions (such as pageviews and button clicks).
A goal is an action that the site owner wants a user to complete: viewing a particular number of pages, going to a specific page, clicking a button, clicking a link, making a purchase, and so on.
When users visit your site and interact with it, Yandex.Metrica collects information about this and registers goal completions (conversions). This data is used to calculate so-called conversion metrics:
A conversion is the point at which the user completes the condition that is set in the goal parameters.
A converted user is the user who completed the condition that is set in the goal parameters.
A converted session is a session in which a conversion occurred. A single converted session may include multiple completions of the same goal.
The conversion rate is the percentage of conversions out of the total number of sessions.
You have a site with educational courses. The site allows users to fill out an application to participate. In this case, submitting the form could be considered the conversion. A site user who submitted the form is a converted user. And the session during which the user submitted the form is a converted session.
Goals are divided into several types depending on their conversion criteria .
- Page depth. Viewing a particular number of pages on the site.
- Page view. Viewing the specified pages on the site.
- Click on email. Tracking clicks on all addresses on the site or the specified address.
- Click on a phone number. Tracking clicks on all phone numbers on the site or the specified phone number.
- Button click Track clicks on buttons and other clickable elements.
- Form submission. Track the submission of all forms on the site, or only some of them.
- Open messenger. Track site users' transitions via links to popular instant messengers.
- Clicks to social networks. Track site users' clicks on links to popular social networks.
- File download. Track downloads of all files on the site, or just some of them.
- Site search Find out how often visitors use search on your site.
- Transition back from payment system Track how many users returned to the site after clicking through to a payment system.
- Calls. Track different categories of calls: all, only unique, and any or unique with a duration of more than 30 seconds.
Using goals in a Yandex.Direct ad campaign
For convenience, you can mark the created goals:
- Retargeting goals are set as retargeting conditions in your ad campaign settings in Yandex.Direct.
- Conversion goals aren't used that way.
If someone other than you is managing your ad campaigns in Yandex.Direct, for example, an agency or a setup specialist, you can give them permission to work with existing automatic and independently created goals in Yandex.Metrica. The Yandex.Direct user can then use goals to optimize ad campaigns without access to the Yandex.Metrica tag.
At the same time, the Yandex.Direct user will only have access to some of the statistics needed to evaluate the effectiveness of the ad campaigns that they created.
To give permission to use goals, go to the Goals page in Yandex.Metrica and enable the Allow optimizing campaigns for goals without access to the tag option. If you recently created a tag, the option is enabled by default.